Make a move: Craigieburn’s Ellie McLean holds up the ball under pressure from Warrnambool’s Holly Greene. Picture: Shawn SmitsCRAIGIEBURN is a game away from capturing the Big V women’s division 1 premiership after a two-point win against Warrnambool on Saturday night.
The Lady Eagles recovered from a horror second quarter to overcome the Mermaids at Craigieburn Leisure Centre on Saturday, winning 67-63.
The teams will now head to Warrnambool this Saturday for game two, and will play game three on Sunday should Warrnambool level the series.
Click on the image below for our gallery of the big game.
But the Lady Eagles have the upper hand after taking care of business on home court.
Things were going pear-shaped at half-time for Craigieburn though, shooting one of 19 from the field in the second quarter as Warrnambool opened a nine-point half-time lead.
But the Mermaids ran into foul trouble in the second half and Craigieburn profited, holding their nerve from the charity stripe to score 11 of 13 free throws.
Tenille Cann led the scoring for the Lady Eagles with 18 points, while Ellie McLean scored 16 to go with 10 boards, Giulia Dinunzio scored 13 and Andrea Godden 12.
Game two in Warrnambool tips off at 6pm this Saturday – See bigv苏州美甲培训学校.au for details on how to follow grand finals on the internet.
The Craigieburn men are a game down in their grand final series against Keysborough.
Craigieburn never got going on offence as Keysborough left with a 66-56 win.
The Eagles shot at a paltry 26.5 per cent from the field for the night, including a disastrous two from 20 outside three-point range.
Key man Eric Miraflores was kept to eight points, while Kane McNamara top-scored with 13 and Rob Toller-Bond scored 11.
Craigieburn must win game two this Saturday to force a deciding game on Sunday.
Tip-off on Saturday night at Bonbeach Stadium is at 6pm.
A MULTIMILLION-dollar funding black hole has failed to put a dampener on Kangan Institute, which is organising its inaugural skills expo in Broadmeadows.
The ‘Skills Recognition – North West Expo’ will go ahead this month, despite $300 million of TAFE funding cut by the state government, leading to the slashing of up to 200 jobs by December and 33 courses at Kangan in Broadmeadows next year.
People attending the expo will get the chance to meet experts across a range of industries to find out how their skills and experience can lead to a qualification and a job.
Kangan’s Skills Recognition Centre manager, Wendy Schwedes, said the expo was aimed at upskilling people in Melbourne’s north-west region and increasing their employment prospects.
“We were thinking about not proceeding at one stage, but we decided we need to give people in the north-west as many opportunities as possible,” she said.
“The funding cuts are certainly affecting our delivery, but the more we can help the people in the region the better. We know they’re going through hard times. If we can assist that would be good.”
Ms Schwedes said the expo could help people who had skills but not a formal qualification.
“Sometimes people might start off in engineering and they find they’re a manager, but they don’t have their managerial skills recognised formally,” she said.
The expo is at the Hume Global Learning Centre from 10am-8pm on August 31 and from 10am-4pm on September 1.
Industries represented will include automotive, aviation, business management and administration, carpentry and engineering.
HUME Council has called for a parliamentary inquiry into a scheme involving councils’ contributions to a superannuation fund for staff.
Under the ‘local authorities superannuation fund defined benefit scheme’, which is run by Vision Super, payments for staff employed before 1993 are fixed by a formula based on the final salary.
Councils have to pick up the tab for any shortfall.
Vision Super announced last month that Victorian councils would be required to cover nearly $400 million to make up the latest shortfall – that’s up from $62 million in 2010.
Hume Council has been notified its share will be $11.98 million.
At last week’s meeting, the council passed a motion by Cr Burhan Yigit seeking a parliamentary inquiry.
The council said it would seek a position on the Municipal Association of Victoria’s taskforce, set up to campaign for the reinstatement of the fund as an exempt public sector scheme and to lobby the state and federal governments to reduce councils’ contributions.
The council will also write to Vision Super, the MAV, and the state and federal governments to make it an “exempt” public sector scheme.
“We support the efforts of the MAV,” Cr Yigit said.
“Unfortunately, at this point of time and [with] all due respect to those involved, I believe the MAV is conflicted as it has members on the board [of Vision Super] and [its chief executive officer Rob Spence is the] chairman of the board.”
Cr Adem Atmaca said: “The CEO of the MAV also sits on the board of the Vision Super and is actually the [board] chairman.
“Now, how can we have the MAV fight for us when they have a direct [conflict of] interest with the person who will be fighting for us. I think that this [the resolution of the issue] is beyond council and the MAV. I think it needs to go to ministry level.”
Cr Ann Potter said: “To me, it [the fund] has been ‘extremely mismanaged’ to have a shortfall of this amount of money.”
Cr Jack Ogilvie said the issue wasn’t new, and he claimed the shortfall would continue to grow.
Mayor Ros Spence has since said the money should be spent on new roads, footpaths, community facilities and parks.
Rates anger: Sue Cole will file an objection against her rates hike. Picture: Scott McNaughtonHUME residents are up in arms over their latest rates hike following an average 12 per cent rise in property values across the city.
A Hume Council report, released last week, details the findings of this year’s valuation and compares it to the previous one in 2010.
A total of 67,734 residential, industrial, commercial and rural properties were valued.
There was a 13.5 per cent rise in residential capital improved value (CIV).
The increase in CIV has influenced the council’s rate hike of 5.4 per cent, which includes 1.3 per cent attributed to the carbon tax and 0.3 per cent to the EPA Victoria landfill levy.
The report shows Fawkner had the highest increase in CIV – 25.7 per cent – jumping to $31 million this year compared with $24 million in 2010.
Craigieburn’s CIV has increased by 11.6 per cent, from $3.8 billion to $4.2 billion.
The lowest CIV was in Roxburgh Park, up 8.7 per cent from $1.8 billion to $2 billion.
Craigieburn Residents Association president Erik Dober said he had received phone calls from worried residents.
“It comes up this time every year; a body of people are genuinely concerned about their rates,” he said. “Craigieburn is supposed to be an affordable area.”
Craigieburn resident Sue Cole said she would file an objection with the council about her current rate bill of $1025 – a 12.7 per cent increase compared with the $909 she paid in 2010.
“We’ve done no renovations and we’ve lived in this house since 1975,” she said.
“A lot of rental properties are new and that kicks us around. I don’t think we’re getting anything for our money. I think we’ve never got a fair share of what should be spent in Craigieburn by council; I feel like we’re the underdogs.”
Council chief executive Domenic Isola said: “As a result of revaluation, the value of some properties will rise, while others will go down, meaning properties with higher market value attract higher rates than those of lesser value.”
Danger zone: Denis Moore (far left), with residents at the problematic intersection. Picture: Scott McNaughtonCRAIGIEBURN residents who have long campaigned to have a dangerous intersection upgraded are being buoyed by Hume Council joining its push.
At a meeting last week, Cr Drew Jessop moved a motion, passed by the councillors, to write to Roads Minister Terry Mulder calling for urgent funding for traffic lights at the Craigieburn and Hanson roads intersection.
In the five years to December last year, VicRoads recorded three casualty crashes at the intersection. Residents say there have been more unreported crashes.
Craigieburn Residents Association vice-president Denis Moore said the community had been lobbying for four years for traffic lights, with no luck.
He said the town’s growing population had contributed to problems.
“I’ve lived here for 33 years and the intersection has probably only been a problem in the last four years because we had a population of 20,000 that’s grown to 38,000.
“Drivers are inexperienced, in a hurry, and are young and that’s what causes the danger.
“First thing in the morning it’s not too bad, but when you’re coming into the intersection at night, it’s totally dangerous and it’s going to kill someone.”
Mr Moore said residents wanted the problem fixed before there was a fatality.
The residents have taken to social media, creating a Facebook page called ‘Upgrade Hanson Road and Craigieburn Road intersection now’.
Craigieburn Sergeant Dale Wesselman said police would welcome any upgrades.
However, VicRoads regional director (metro north-west) Patricia Liew said two of the three crashes were ‘rear-end’ collisions between vehicles.
“These are unlikely to be addressed by the provision of traffic signals.”
HUME Council has sought to allay Aitken College fears over a Growth Areas Authority (GAA) plan to build a public road that would intersect the school in Greenvale.
The school site, which faces Mickleham Road, is included in the GAA Greenvale Central Precinct Structure Plan (PSP), which was released this month.
Council’s city sustainability director, Kelvin Walsh, said last week: “It is council’s understanding the Minister for Planning [Matthew Guy] has directed that the GAA not propose a road extending through the school site – and there is currently no proposal to construct a road through the school”.
He said the decision for a road connection was at the discretion of the school.
His comments followed on college principal Josie Crisara urging parents to voice their concerns at the road plan.
Ms Crisara said the plan showed a road connection along the southern boundary of the school, running up to the northern boundary.
She said the road would pose a safety risk to students and impact on the school’s sustainability projects, including its wetlands.
She urged parents to fill out a submission objecting to the proposal, to be sent to the GAA.
“There have been suggestions that a public road could be built to cut through the school or provide an alternative access other than using Mickleham Road,” Ms Crisara said.
“Both of these propositions are unacceptable to the college. A road access point to the south or north of the college would only create more congestion and would be a costly exercise in the order of millions of dollars, which the college would most likely need to fund.”
The school site has also been labelled a ‘future urban area’ by the GAA.
Ms Crisara said this was unacceptable. The school, which opened in 1999, has 1260 students from prep to year 12.
Janelle Judge, whose son is in year8 at the college, said she would be putting in a submission to the GAA.
”It’s a prep-to-year 12 school so I was concerned about the students crossing that potential road,” she said.
“The safety of the children would be at risk.”
GAA chief executive Peter Seamer said there were no immediate plans to build a road through the school, but he added that it was a possibility.
“While the PSP shows a potential future connection, as requested by Hume City Council, the PSP is neutral on whether there should be a road connection through that site and quite certainly it does not require this [connection],” he said.
But the council said the concept of a road connection arose from recommendations of the GAA’s own traffic report.
Late last week, Mr Guy’s spokesman said: “The minister has no intention of directing the location of local roads; this is a matter that should be sensibly sorted out between the GAA and the Hume Council.”